Sunday 6 November 2011

Neuroscience for Personal Growth Using Science to Accelerate Your Personal Growth

Neuroscience has fantastic practical life application for personal growth. The metaphor of the butterfly is a personal, and beloved demonstration of change for me. As a very young child, I was fascinated by the story of the change from the lowly caterpillar to the graceful, beautiful butterfly and what it symbolized. I somehow knew, even then, that this was a metaphor for my own life.

Neuroscience is connected to the metamorphosis metaphor from my viewpoint. It helps us to better understand how we can create change in ourselves. Neuroscience is the area of science that deals with the brain and nervous system in some way. It could be related to mind and psychology, the visual system itself, or biology and physics.

Because of my educational background in this area, I find it fascinating and I am grateful for the science now to backup what was called ‘soft skills’ in the past. Neuroscience is giving objective findings to support how our brains and minds work, how beliefs and behavior is formed and how it can be changed. This will only increase our understanding for our own personal growth and development.

This is very exciting in that the quality of your life is certainly proportional to the quality of your beliefs. I think we are in the era of personal responsibility. It is time to stop barely making it through the week, the old “thank God it’s Friday” mindset, and move into the lifestyle of gratitude and fulfillment.

As the author and poet Maya Angelou said, “Surviving is important, thriving is elegant”.

When I was a child, I LOVED the metaphor of the caterpillar to the butterfly and pretty much from the time I learned this concept, I connected to it from my heart. I’ve connected to butterflies decades before they became symbolic of our times.

This is a personal metaphor, a journey of my own expansion, from the limited, vulnerable caterpillar, to the beautiful, graceful, and freedom-loving butterfly. I believe we are at a crossroads in our world, and I am very hopeful that people will seize the moment and take advantage of opportunities to heal their limited thinking and fears, and rise up and take their places on the stage of life.

Everyone has a purpose and is here at THIS TIME by no accident. Brain research is clearly showing that our thoughts wire our brains and these connections can either be strengthened or changed by conscious choice. The key is conscious choice.

We have to wake up, and take responsibility and if we do, we can create a world that is sustainable and a life that is meaningful, happy and overall peaceful instead of the chaotic world that we UN-consciously created.

Understanding how our Spirit, mind and body is connected and our connection to others is crucial to this process. Personal growth can be accelerated with the practical application of science. I am thankful for the objective and ‘soft skills’ discoveries of positive psychology and neuroscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment